Monday, January 24, 2011

Does Facebook Find Roger Ebert's Face 'Abusive'? - Click here http://bit.ly/ieTc0h for full article

Click here http://bit.ly/ieTc0h to view full article

I rarely agree with film critics. As a matter of fact, I tend to consider a bad review by critics to mean that I'll probably enjoy the movie. But, I'd never consider censoring a film reviewer, whether I disagreed with him or her regularly or not.

Why, then, is Facebook calling the content on world-famous Roger Ebert's blog "abusive content"?

To be fair, the subject matter to which Mark Zuckerberg objects has nothing to do with Ebert's opinions on the silver screen (ones which I nearly always disagree, being of the mind that Ebert lost touch with the American public years ago). Rather, it was a blog entry about how one of the pair who made "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" household phrases recently got a prosthetic jaw after losing his to thyroid cancer.

While I rarely agree with Ebert's cinematic tastes, I applaud his courage in not only writing about his two-year ordeal but also in posting (non-graphic) photos of himself sans lower mandible, a photo which also appeared on the cover of Esquire magazine a year ago.

According to a Facebook (and, isn't that business name ironic in this context?) spokesman, the world's largest social media networking site is looking into the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment