Thursday, December 23, 2010

SocialOomph and Stopping Spammers - Click here http://bit.ly/ff7n7Q for full article.

Written by : Michael Currey

I've been designing and developing websites for awhile, now, but social media was just a hobby until recently. Now I'm reading everything I can and trying things out on my own assets to, one, learn by doing, and two, gain a deeper understanding of how it all works together and why one strategy works for business A and not business B.

I recently started using SocialOomph to learn more about it after reading various posts and found it useful to to some basic automation of my Twitter account. Among its features is the ability to send new followers a message and to follow them back. I thought this was great so I left it at that.

What I didn't do was take advantage of the vetting options. They give you a three-day window to check out your new followers and see if you'd like to follow them back. This means more work on your part but it's probably worth it if you've signed up in the anti-spam war.

The problem with auto-following someone is that there are lots of spammers out there with "ghost" accounts whose only mission is to accumulate followers. By auto-following, you're encouraging this behavior!

Thankfully, Social Oomph has some tools to help you out so you can at least get rid of the most obvious offenders. There's a selector for the percentile difference in the number of followers versus the number followed, if the account has status updates, and how long ago the account was created. There's more but you get the idea.

So to get started, take a look at who's following you and figure out if you really need to be following them. I know it's polite on Twitter to follow who's following you, but there have to be limits and spammers are on my hit list.


Click here http://bit.ly/ff7n7Q for full article.

No comments:

Post a Comment